Actions To Take If You Suspect Nursing Home Abuse

nursing home abuse

Neglect and abuse can happen in any nursing home at any given time. The best way to stop this grave injustice to the vulnerable residents in nursing home facilities is to take action. If you suspect that a loved one is being neglected and abused in a nursing home, make sure to take action.

Here are some steps to take if you believe that nursing home abuse has or is occurring:

Report the Incident

If this is an emergency situation and the victim needs immediate medical attention, call 911 and make sure that they get the right care and treatment. This will also enable the law enforcement authorities to create documentation or a report about the situation. When this is taken care of, you can file a complaint with the state agency responsible for the regulation of nursing homes to initiate an official investigation.

Gather Information

Make sure that you document everything that you saw relating to the abuse or neglect, including when and where it happened and anyone who might have been involved. Take pictures and videos of the injuries and the environmental conditions in the nursing home facility. Get the names of the staff, management and administrators on duty.

Transfer the Victim to a Safe Place

If you believe that the resident will be in harm’s way if they continue to reside in that nursing home, help them to be transferred to a safe environment. If the victim is unknown to you, try to get them connected to their loved ones.

Speak to an Attorney

If you wish to file a nursing home abuse lawsuit, finding an experienced nursing home abuse attorney is very important. Nursing home abuse cases can get very complicated, and there are many factors which are best handled by experienced attorneys.

Contact Us

If you are seeking a nursing home abuse attorney in Rockland County, NY, the Rockland Injury Lawyers can help. They will evaluate the situation and advise you about the best course of action to take at no cost. Please call our office at 845-709-8005 or 800-940-1799 or email us at or

Share on Google+0Share on Facebook1Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest0Share on Tumblr0Share on StumbleUpon0

Leave a Comment

10 − six =

Disclaimer : This website is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.