What are the important steps to take after a slip and fall accident?
The following are some important steps to take following a slip and fall accident:
- Get medical attention as soon as possible. This is important to keep you out of immediate peril, and to procure medical attention and obtain, in writing, a professional diagnosis of any injuries caused by the fall.
- Inspect the area and write down your version of the fall as soon as possible. It can be valuable evidence in court and can also help your attorney decide how the potential lawsuit should be handled.
- If your slip and fall accident occurred in a store, or an apartment building, or your friend’s house, or anywhere else, make sure you report it to the manager, owner, or landlord.
- Write down the names, addresses and phone numbers of witnesses. Their testimony can be crucial in the process of filing a slip and fall accident claim.
- Take photos of whatever it was that caused the accident, whether it was the stairs, railings, ice patches, or any other condition that contributed to the fall.
- Physical evidence can play an important role in proving your claims. Keep the clothes and shoes you were wearing at the time of the accident. Do not clean or wash them.
- Hire a slip and fall accident attorney to help you in the process of making a claim.