Heavy Construction Equipment Safety Tips
- September 21, 2018
- No comments
Construction site work usually involves heavy equipment. Heavy equipment can be extremely dangerous when not used properly. Rollovers, electrocution, being struck by objects and getting caught in or between objects are various ways workers can be injured when working on or near heavy equipment.
Here are some safety tips to maintain an accident-free job site:
- Construction workers should be trained prior to starting work or handling heavy equipment. They should be well-trained about safety, hazard identification, the safety features of the equipment and the safe operation of heavy equipment.
- When operating heavy equipment, be mindful about the area you are working in and the potential obstacles you may encounter. If there are any overhead power lines, de-energize them or put up clear barriers. When digging, make sure to identify any sewer, water, gas and electrical wiring. Mark it clearly so that preventive measures can be taken to avoid any damage.
- Inspect heavy equipment before each use to ensure that it is in good operating condition. Check tires and tracks for any wear or damage. Check fluid levels, such as engine oil and hydraulic fluid,before using the equipment. Make sure all attachments are securely locked into place.
- Every piece of equipment is designed to perform a specific task. Always use the equipment for its intended purpose.Do not overload or overwork the equipment and be mindful of the equipment’s capacity.
- If you are moving or operating equipment near workers, use radio or hand signals to communicate and keep the area clear. This is especially important when backing up.
- Always wear the appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) such as gloves, safety glasses, sturdy boots and hard hats.
- When loading and unloading equipment at the site, make sure it is done on level ground to avoid rollovers.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a construction site accident, a skilled and experienced construction accident attorney can ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and damages. Call Rockland Injury Lawyers at 845-709-8005 or 800-940-1799 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.