Personal Injury Protection
- April 24, 2018
- No comments
Personal injury protection (PIP) is insurance that covers medical expenses and in some cases, lost wages and other damages, after a car accident. PIP is often called ‘no-fault coverage’ because it will provide coverage no matter who is at fault in the accident.
While PIP does not cover the cost of property damage, it provides up to $50,000 per person which includes the driver, passenger and any injured pedestrian, for lost wages, medical bills and other necessary and reasonable accident-related expenses.
PIP insurance basically covers:
- $25 per day to reimburse the injured person for expenses that include transportation to and from medical treatment, assistance around the house, etc. This payment will apply for up to one year from the date the accident occurred.
- Reasonable rehabilitation and medical expenses related to injuries suffered in the accident
- 80% of lost wages up to $2,000 per month, for a maximum of three years from the date of the accident
- $2,000 death benefit to the estate of anyone killed in the accident
Who May Not Qualify for PIP Benefits?
A person may not qualify for PIP benefits if:
- He or she was intoxicated at the time of the accident.
- He or she intentionally injured themselves.
- He or she was driving a motorcycle or an ATV. However, injured pedestrians are covered.
- He or she sustained injuries while committing a crime.
- He or she was injured while driving in a stolen vehicle.
- His or her vehicle was not insured.
To become eligible for payment of personal injury protection benefits, you must file an application with your insurance company. This must be filed within 30 days of the accident. Failure to do so may lead to dismissal of your application.
If you were injured in an accident due to someone else’s negligence, you may be able to file a claim for compensation. Contact the personal injury attorneys at Rockland Injury Lawyers today. We have over 50 years of experience dealing with accident cases and our personal injury lawyers are skilled, knowledgeable and effective . Call 845-709-8005 or 800-940-1799 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.