Reporting Nursing Home Abuse
- July 9, 2018
- No comments
Research suggests that most cases of nursing home abuse go unreported for a number of reasons. Patients who are seldom visited by their loved ones often become victims of abuse as there is no one to notice the signs that they are being abused. Moreover, many elderly patients have memory problems and do not have the ability to communicate when abuse occurs. Some of the most common nursing home problems include malnutrition, dehydration, bedsores, inadequate medical services, slip and fall accidents and inadequate sanitation or hygiene.
If you notice any signs of abuse in a nursing home, it is very important that you report the situation to the proper authorities right away. Doing so can save the life of an elderly person who otherwise would not be able to find the justice and care that he or she deserves.
- Call 911 if the situation is dire and immediate intervention is required.
- If the matter is not an emergency, you can make a report at the local law enforcement agency or district attorney’s office.
- Contact the Eldercare Locator to get more information on state laws and regulations.
- Go to the National Eldercare Abuse page through the Administration of Aging to get information on which authorities to contact to make a report.
- Contact the primary care physician of the patient or their social worker for information, but only if they are not a part of the abuse. Members of the healthcare team can assist you in determining the best course of action to protect the patient.
When filing the nursing home abuse report, make sure that you provide accurate, complete and detailed information. By doing so you can avoid any unnecessary delays or possible rejection during the legal process.
Consider Hiring an Experienced Nursing Home Abuse Attorney
After you have reported the abuse to the appropriate authorities and the perpetrators have been found guilty, the victim may be entitled to monetary compensation for their medical bills and other damages like pain and suffering. The best way to ensure that the victim receives justice and maximum compensation is to have an experienced nursing home abuse attorney represent the case. This will give you the best chance to receive the maximum compensation that the victim needs and deserves.
Rockland Injury Lawyers
At Rockland Injury Lawyers, our goal is to make top-quality legal representation available to everyone. We are dedicated to providing you with personalized service and unsurpassed legal representation while preserving your dignity and privacy. Our experienced nursing home abuse attorneys are ready to fight for you and your loved ones. If you suspect someone you know has been a victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, contact us at 718-775-3614 or 800-940-1799 for a free consultation. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.