Safety Tips for New York Pedestrians
- August 22, 2017
- No comments
Pedestrian accidents are dangerous. Every year in New York City and throughout the state, thousands of pedestrians are injured or killed in motor vehicle accidents. With so many pedestrians and drivers on the streets, pedestrians need to be constantly aware of their surroundings. There are a number of safety tips pedestrians can follow to ensure their safety while walking on the street.
Here are some tips from the pedestrian accident lawyers at Rockland Injury Lawyers:
- Many pedestrian accidents happen because motorists do not see pedestrians. Wear bright colored clothing during the day and light colored or reflective clothing at night.
- Refrain from walking if you are under the influence. Alcohol and drugs impair a person’s decision-making ability and physical reflexes and therefore increase the risk of accidents.
- Familiarize yourself with the traffic signals, signs and rules in the areas where you are walking. You should also be aware of the rules that vehicles must follow so that you’re able to anticipate what motorists will do, thereby reducing the chance of being struck by a vehicle.
- Avoid distractions such as wearing a headphone, talking on the phone or looking down at your phone while walking.
- Always walk on the sidewalk. If the sidewalk is unavailable, make sure to walk on the far side of the road.
- Always use crosswalks when crossing the street. If crosswalks are unavailable, find a well-lit spot on the road and wait for a long gap in traffic to walk safely across the street.
- Even if the light is red, be extra cautious when crossing the street. Wait an extra moment to make sure that all drivers have indicated their intentions.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident, contact us to discuss your case. We have over 50 years of experience dealing with accident cases. Our lawyers are skilled and professional. We will do our best to get you or your loved one what he or she deserves as quickly and efficiently as possible. To contact us, call 845-709-8005 and 800-940-1799 or email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.